Report: Graph Expo 2014
While downsized from last year, ReproMAX was pleased with the quality of the vendors in attendance at this year’s Graph Expo on Sept. 29 at McCormick South in beautiful downtown Chicago, Illinois. Attendees estimated an approximate 20 percent drop in size, which may be due to the absence of larger web press manufacturers such as Heidelberg.
ReproMAX Partners attending included: Wade Sparks from Riley’s; Joe Cushing and his team from Cushings; CyberCopy’s Paul Fridrich and Steven Strooh from Beeline and Blue.
The mission for ReproMAX was to meet with existing vendors to solidify our relationships and explore the prospect of new suppliers for additional ReproMAX purchasing programs. Some of the vendors ReproMAX met included:
- Canon—probably the largest exhibit at the show, Canon turned the spotlight on their Arizona 6170 XTS Flatbed Printer with their first installation occurring at Thomas/A&E in Houston just last week. It boasts a faster production speed with a reconfigured print head design, and a large bed (enough for two-4 x 8 sheets for simultaneous print and set-up). Canon also highlighted their Colorwave 900 and 650 printers with improved technologies for output consistency and quality assurance.
- Reprographic Technologies—Kevin Howes, Director of Wide Format Solutions discussed mutually beneficial opportunities with ReproMAX and has agreed to be one of our sponsoring vendors at this year’s Fall Conference in Las Vegas. Some of their emerging equipment includes the Memjet technology in a 2- or 4-roll configuration and 6” or 12” per second print speed. RTI will be demonstrating their equipment on the last day of our fall conference in Las Vegas, so it should be something you might consider reviewing this year.
- Xerox—While the iJP2000 was absent at this expo, they are actively pursuing the establishment of new dealers for this equipment. A number of units have been placed, particularly in the commercial print market. See the attachments to your Forum emails for more information.
- HP—We found an excellent demonstration of their Latex3000, Indigo and Inkjet Web Press, but no news on the anticipated high speed wide format unit.
- ZUND—Leverage with this supplier is non-existent due to the current pace of purchases by ReproMAX Partners.
- Grimco—This relationship is in development and we are seeking to revise all Canadian pricing.
- CGS—As a high-end archival scanner manufacturer, you might recall Trevor Haworth, President and CEO spoke briefly at our NJ/NY Conference this past spring.
- enfocus—This company is recommended by Steven Strooh for those Partners heavily invested in color production. They produce solutions for PDF productivity/workflow (www.enfocus.com).
- Xante—ReproMAX reconnected with this vendor and they continue to grow their sheet fed packaging markets. They were disappointed ReproMAX Partners could not effectively utilize their technology, but they would welcome any interest.